Experiencing slow Telkom LTE speeds during the lockdown?
If you are one of the unfortunate users who don’t have fibre broadband or can’t afford fibre and are stuck with the next best thing, Telkom LTE, you’re possibly struggling with slow connectivity speeds at the moment due to some cable or whatever Telkom is feeding you. I don’t know.
What I know is there is a workaround the slow connectivity, you simply need to follow the following simple steps:
Get your router IP address
The default IP address usually is 192.168.8.1, 192.168.0.1 or 10.0.0.1
If none of the above IP addresses work, quickly follow these four steps to get your IP address:
- Go to Start (I assume you are Windows user)
- Run and type in “CMD”
- In the black command-line interface, type “ipconfig”. If you use Linux or Mac, you can type in “netstat -rn”, but I doubt you didn’t know that. Linux / Mac users are awesome.
- Copy that number after “Default Gateway: . . .” — that’s the IP address you are going to need to connect to your router.
Login to your router.
You will then need to open your web browser. A web browser is an application you use to access Facebook, NetFlix or porn. In the address bar, where you normally type: https://www.facebook.com, type in default gateway number (IP address — don’t want to get too technical here). Just type the number in the address bar with the dots, e.g. 192.168.8.1 and press “Enter”. You will end up at the following screen:
- You will need to login to your router. Again, if you or whoever set up your connection has not fiddled with the router, you will be able to login using either one of the following logins:
- If your logins are any of the above, I assume you have custom login details and you know them. If you don’t, this is the part where you stop reading this tutorial. Here are instructions on how to reset your router — but you need to know what the hell you’re doing: https://www.verizon.com/support/residential/internet/home-network/settings/router-factory-reset
- After logging in, go to:
- Dial-up (or Network Settings on other routers)
- Network Settings
- And then change your settings to:
- Network Preferred Mode: 4G Only (and on the popup, select Telkom LTE / Telkom 4G)
- And Network Search Mode: Change to manual to prevent the router from reverting back to the slow ass 3G connection or falling back to another network that’s also suffering from the #fakenews Telkom told you.
- Save your Settings and call me to get my banking details.
You are all set now. Lord knows that you don’t need fast internet to send work emails, so enjoy your Netflix or porn.